Spring is here! Time to get out and make a difference in our watershed. Here's just a few ways:
- Vote 'Yes' for open space on April 17.
- Volunteer at Sierra Club-Valley of the Fox Group's River Rescue on April 21.
- Learn about stream ecology at "Meet the Macros" workshop on April 28.
Thank you to everyone who submitted watershed news for this e-News issue.
Sue Bennett, Communications Committee Chair
- Successful passage of open space referenda can preserve nearly 10,000 acres throughout the Fox River watershed. Vote 'Yes' on April 17! See links below for info on each referendum.
- Report on Condition of Streams and Other Aquatic Resources in Kane County Forest Preserve Parcels, released Feb. 7, 2007, Dr. R. Edward DeWalt, Illinois Natural History Survey, Campaign, IL
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) announces 2007 Household Hazardous Waste Recycling dates/locations (Note - Recycling date/location for Fox River Watershed: May 19, 8:00AM-3:00PM, Kane County Fairgrounds) List of Acceptable/Unacceptable Wastes
- Updated (Feb. 2007) Northeastern Illinois Water Trails Map now available. Call Openlands at 312-863-6253 for copies. Visit Openlands web site for of map.
- Recent Chicago Wilderness Reports:
Water: The Quality Test - Is our water clean? What does "clean" mean? Improving water quality is a complex and urgent goal. Report
Water: Demand & Supply - The water supply of the Chicago region is not infinite. How can we preserve this vital natural resource? Report
- New conservation books by Fox River watershed authors:
Challenges: A Trip to Remember, by David Rigby (Friends of the Fox River Monitor), Johnsburg, IL
Design Your Natural Midwest Garden, by Patricia Hill, Elgin, IL
- April 13 & 14 (Fri. & Sat.) - Stream Monitoring Training - Learn how to monitor the water quality of the Fox River or one of its tributaries. Join Friends of the Fox River's Monitoring Network and help Friends of the Fox River keep a watchful eye on water quality within our watershed. Time: 9:30AM-2:30PM; Location: Prairieview Education Center, Crystal Lake (both days); Fee: None.
- April 14 (Sat.) - Schoolyard Habitat Development Workshop (for educators) sponsored by IDNR's ENTICE program. Time: TBA; Location: Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, Batavia; Fee: $10.
- April 21 (Sat.) - Sierra Club-Valley of the Fox Group's Fox River Rescue Cleanup in Aurora.
- April 21 (Sat.) - City of Batavia's Enviro Expo 2007 - Free event showcasing ideas about conserving energy, water and resources. Over 55 exhibitors will demonstrate conservation ideas and products. Time: 10:00AM-4:00PM; Location: Batavia City Hall, Batavia; Fee: None. more info
- April 21 (Sat.) - Earth Day Celebration - Join the McHenry County Conservation District and the McHenry County Defenders in an Earth Day Celebration for the whole family. Indoor/outdoor, rain or shine event features music, storytelling, nature walks, environmental exhibits, and more. Time: 11:00AM-4PM; Location: Prairieview Education Center, Crystal Lake; Fee: None.
- April 28 (Sat.) - 'Meet the Macros' Workshop - Great workshop for stream monitors, fishermen, and anyone interested in stream ecology. This workshop will be part refresher and a whole lot of getting up close to the benthic macroinvertebrates of the watersheds of McHenry County. Restoration Ecologist John Aavang will lead us on an armchair/electronic tour that will hone aquatic macroinvertebrate identification skills and review their adaptations. Time will also be spent in a stream sampling macroinvertebrates. Time: 1:00-4:00 PM; Location: Glacial Park, Conference Center/The Lodge, McHenry; Fee: None. To register: Contact Mary Kozub, McHenry County Conservation District at 815-479-5779 or
Spring 2007 Fox Rescue Cleanups
April 21 (Sat.) - Aurora - Join Sierra Club Water Sentinels (Valley of the Fox Group) on Earth Day as they continue their annual Fox River Cleanup along the Fox River from 9:00AM-Noon in Aurora. To volunteer, contact Cindy Skrukrud at 815-675-2594,
or Jen Hensley at 312-251-1680x3,
May 19 (Sat.) - Friends of the Fox River's Spring Fox River Rescue - To date, cleanup events have been set up in Aurora, Algonquin, Batavia, Carpentersville, Elgin, Geneva, Montgomery and Oswego. To set up a cleanup site in your area or to get more information about river cleanups, contact Jessi DeMartini at 630-871-7548 or